return to top
return to top
return to top
return to top
return to top
return to top
camp kidsmART 2010
Monday, July 5 - Thursday, August 12
Monday - Thursday, 9:30 am - 2:30 pm
Fort Tilden, GNRA, Rockaway Point, NY
Children completing kindergarten through 7th grade in June 2010 are eligible to attend.
To receive a camp application, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 718-474-0861 and ask to be placed on the mailing list.
Tuition is $1000 per child. Scholarship applications are available.
Download camp kidsmART application.
RAA has been providing art education programs to public school students, community members and Rockaway youth for nearly a decade. Our art education philosophy is based on the premise that we are all creative individuals. Exposure to various art mediums by professional Artistic Instructors leads not only to the education and growth of an individual, but to the community as a whole.
All RAA workshops are hands-on and include lessons in the history, vocabulary and concepts of the medium. Projects are tailored to the skill level of the participant. Under the guidance of RAA Artistic Instructors, participants paint landscapes, write poems, create papier mache sculptures or dance jazz routines by doing. They acquire the skills and learn the techniques integral to the art form and actively create visual and performance pieces.
We are pleased to continue bringing RAA workshops to audiences of all ages. Our venues include RAA's T-6 and T-7 sTudios and our kidsmART after-school and summer day-camp programs all located in Gateway National Recreation Area's, Fort Tilden. RAA has a contract with the Department of Education allowing us to bring high quality visual and performing art instruction into the New York City Public Schools. Public and private funding also enables RAA to continue community beautification projects throughout the Rockaways and beyond.
We look forward to continuing to offer high quality art education and meaningful employment opportunities to Rockaway and New York City residents, youth and artists.
"Pirates of the Peninsula" was the second special event day enjoyed by kidsmART campers. The event included costumes and a treasure hunt. Here, Theater Counselor Ellen Fabbricatore is surrounded by her band of marauders, Ellen's Raccoons.
Campers work in a variety of different artistic mediums, including clay sculpture as seen here.
Papier Mache Counselor Kalin Callaghan uses sculpy to instruct campers in the art of small scale sculptures.
kidsmART AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM
F R E E !
Start Date: October
13, 2009 - May 6, 2010
Monday,Tuesday & Thursday, 3:30 pm – 6:30 pm
Building T-149, Fort Tilden
Registered by N.Y. State Office of Children & Family Services.
* Acting * Dancing *
Playing * Drumming * Sculpting
Nature Walks *
Homework Help *
Clay Play * Chess * Games
Arts & Crafts * Science * Special Events *
Art * Computers
Click here to download complete package of forms -or-
Register at P.S 114Q from dismissal - 4pm on Wednesday, October 7, 2009
OR at Building T-149 in Fort Tilden on Saturday October 10, 2009 10am-Noon.
Please download the forms at home and just hand them in on either of the registration dates or please bring a pen and come prepared to spend 10 minutes per child (each child has to have their own form) filling out the forms at one of the registration sites. We will have forms available.
You will also have the opportunity to enroll at the program once it begins on October 13. However, children will not be permitted to stay at the program until all forms have been completed and returned to the Site Director.
"How lucky our community is to finally have such a great program.
I wish kidsmART was around when I was a child growing up here."
"Thank you for this great program."
"Thank you for this wonderful service and taking such good care of my son!"
Important kidsmART Facts
* kidsmART is FREE to all children ages 6 -13.
* In addition to the visual and performing arts curriculum we offer,
we are proud to announce that we also offer homework assistance, a multimedia
library with a computer work station, organized sports and outdoor recreation,
and a relaxed space for kids to discuss what's on their minds.
* Participants are welcome to attend anywhere from 1-3 days per
week, however space is limited and available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
* The kidsmART after-school program is governed by the safety
rules of the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Once kidsmART
reaches the maximum capacity of children we are legally able to serve at one
time, we will be forced to ask additional parents and children to return on the
program's next day in session. For this reason, we strongly urge you arrive between
3:30 – 4:00 pm.
* Parents must escort children into the building at drop-off and
come in to pick them up at dismissal.
* RAA's kidsmART After-School Program is funded by the New York City Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) as part of the nationwide Out-of-School Time initiative to give children safe and enriching spaces in which to spend their after-school hours.
Make A Commitment
kidsmART has been in existence for over nine years and this is the third year of operating the program as part of the nationwide Out-of-School Time initiative. It is the goal of this initiative and RAA to provide a safe and nurturing after-school environment for as many children as possible at no cost to their parents and families.
We fully understand the hectic lives of families today. Between work, academic demands and pressures, most of us are entirely overscheduled. This being the case, we respect every parent's decision to choose the programming that best suits them and their child.
However, we ask that if you choose kidsmART to be part of your child's life, you and your child honor that commitment the same way you would honor a commitment to their playing a sport, pursuing music lessons, etc. Essentially, please commit to this program the way you would commit to one of the programs that comes with a hefty price tag.
As for our end for the bargain, we will continue to help your children with their homework, encourage them to form new friendships, simply play, have fun, laugh, use their imaginations, sculpt and paint, dance and sing, get some exercise and more.
It's really a great deal when you think about it.
Every year since 1999, Rockaway
Artists Alliance (RAA) has offered a wealth of hands-on performing and visual arts workshops to New York City public school students and teachers. This year, we look forward to aiding your school and others in achieving and exceeding the goals set forth by the Department of Education's ArtsCount initiative.
RAA's professional Artistic Instructors work in mediums ranging from quilt-making to theater and from papier mache sculpture to painted murals. These stimulating in-school workshops enhance students' appreciation for the fine arts, as well as provide a nurturing atmosphere for the development of creative problem solving skills and conceptual thinking.
Following is a detailed listing of
curriculum offerings, New York City Department of Education contract/vendor
information and more. RAA welcomes the opportunity to help enrich your students'
educational experience and enhance your school through an integrated arts
education curriculum. Please contact us at 718-474-0861 to arrange a planning
What does RAA offer?
• A wide variety of workshops that can be tailored to children ranging in age from pre-K to eighth grade, including students with special needs; large and small classes; and long and short term projects.
• Curriculum Options Include: Dance/Movement * Mask Making * Painting * Papier Mache * Indoor and Outdoor Murals * Digital Photography * Rhythm & Beat * Set Design * Clay Sculpture * Jewelry Making * Collage * Environmental Art * Theater and much more.
• High quality instruction by professionals who have been certified to work with children through RAA by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services.
• Artistic Instructors versed in teaching workshops that compliment social studies, science, math, history, and language arts curriculum.
In order to ensure a productive and rewarding experience RAA recommends the following:
• A planning session. This is an opportunity for the Artistic Instructor, Program Director and/or Program Coordinator to discuss the proposed project ideas with the Principal, Teachers, and/or the Project Arts Coordinator (i.e. cross curricular projects, culminating exhibits, etc.) Please consider scheduling this during the teacher's prep or free period. This planning session is free.
• Optimally, the Artistic Instructor visits the school for a minimum of four-hours per day (i.e. time may be divided between two to four classes). This format makes large scale art pieces and special projects easier to work on and complete.
In accordance with New York City Department of Education regulations and contractual agreement:
• The classroom teacher must be present during the workshops.
• Schedule and Costs: Four-hours = $600. This fee is for one Artistic Instructor including all supplies and materials and all project development meetings. One Artistic Instructor can service approximately 25 children per hour.
• RAA's contract number: 6195238. RAA's vendor number: ROC038000.
Please be aware that early program planning allows for optimal program choice.
Please contact Marina Callaghan or Christine
Mullally at 718-474-0861 or email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you so that we may have an opportunity to schedule RAA programs in your '07-08' school calendar.
Marina Callaghan 2007 PASEsetter Award Winner!
On Tuesday April 10, 2007 at Pier 60 in Manhattan, The Partnership for After School Education (PASE), hosted the 2007 PASEsetter Awards - an annual awards ceremony honoring afterschool educators whose commitment, energy and creativity have had an indelible impact on the children and youth of New York City.
Out of 65 potential candidates, Rockaway Artists Alliance Program Coordinator Marina Callaghan was chosen as a 2007 PASEsetter Award Winner.
Congratulations to the 2007 PASEsetter Award Winners!
Award recipients received a $5,000 Cash Award to their agency, two roundtrip airline tickets, a trophy, and a feature article and photograph in the PASE newsletter and website.